Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Whatever happened to...

...coat of arms? Or maybe the proper pluralization should be coats of arms. Either way, how come we don't have them anymore? Such a cool idea and a great way to unify a group of people and create and maintain a sense of identity. Well, as cool as they are, I can't see them coming back into style anytime soon. That being said, a couple years ago I stumbled on an old Dickinson coat of arms and I wanted to share it just to show you what we are all missing out on here in the 21st century. Here it is:




That my friends is the Dickinson Coat of Arms. When I stumbled on it I gotta say, I was pretty excited. I sorta feel like I have found a piece of my heritage. I've always been kind of curious about what my ancestors were about and where they were from and stuff. I know my background is mostly British and that is kind of boring but now seeing this coat of arms, maybe we were a vicious band of warriors. I mean look at those lions...very fierce. Those funny looking trees though...I've got no explanation for those. But can't you just picture a group of soldiers marching with this beautiful coat of arms emblazened on the front of their shields? Or maybe we were peaceful folks and you could find the coat of arms on our coffee mugs and bumper stickers on our buggies. Either way, it's nice to know the Dickinson's have been around for a while and even went through the trouble of coming up with their own coat of arms.

And if you were wondering what that latin phrase at the bottom says it means, "To be, rather than to seem". They said things in such cooler ways back then.



So, see if you can find something cool from your heritage, or maybe you already know a bunch of stuff. As for me, it's time for supper. In honour of my British heritage I'm going to pretend I'm half Mexican and half Indian- fajitas and butter chicken for me.


Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Half Indian and half Mexican? You're definitely nearing the wildness of your ancestors..

    Esse Quom Vider..I like it..

    ReplyDelete