Sunday, May 2, 2010

I am Afraid Right Now

It's a pretty manly thing to be afraid right? To be able to shout from the rooftops that I am scared about something? Bravery is overrated. What is it to be brave anyways? To disregard or overlook the fear that is within? That's my definition anyways. I choose to notice the fear within, and then tell others that it's there. Honesty is always the best policy right?

Well, just so you don't think I'm being a wuss in general and for no apparent reason, I'll fill you in. This thursday I'll be going under the knife. Well, the knife will actually be in me and cutting through me. I have to get my two bottom wisdom teeth taken out. The surgery itself actually I'm not all that concerned about. I will be unconscious while the oral surgeon is digging around in my mouth, and for that I'm incredibly grateful. But what about after, when I awake to what inevitably will be some pretty brutal pain? That is what frightens me. The fact there could be 3 or 4 days of pain after my wisdom is actually removed, that is what really scares me.

So, how am I going to be prepared to cope with those days of torture? Well, I have a prescription for pain medication that I will pick up, I will be sure to stock up with plenty of applesauce, ice cream, and soup, I have recently made 2 orders with Amazon.ca to ensure I have plenty of reading material, and on Friday I took my most expensive step to post-surgery happiness- bought myself a PlayStation 3.

I guess I'm ready, eh? Or about as ready as I'll ever be.

3 comments:

  1. It's not that bad actually. The worst part is the gargling with salt water afterwards.
    The surgery isn't that bad either, when I got my wisdom teeth out he didn't even put me under, just started digging away with his chisel..he possibly used some local anaesthetic but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, our dentist told us that you won't find this in the medical books....and there's no scientific reason....BUT....make sure you eat as much of 2 cans of pineapple as possible for your last two meals before the surgery. Totally makes a difference to how much swelling you get and the length of time to heal. Worked for all my kids....they were in far less pain and had less swelling than the others in the recovery room. Take it or leave it.....but there's nothing to lose. Ruth Teakle (Traci's Aunt)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to scare you more, just take this helpful advice. Make sure they give you enough gauze for when you go home. I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled but they didn't give me enough gauze, so I ended up just holding my mouth shut until it filled with blood, I'd feel it coagulating in my mouth. Finally I would have to spit it out, and started it all over again...but, I'm sure it will go fine for you!

    ReplyDelete