Monday, May 31, 2010

Zeke Says Hi


Only in Hawaii will you find a sign like this, eh? Well, I'm back from my little solo vacation to the beautiful island of Maui and I bring greetings from Zeke, the beach, macadamia nuts, and sweet solitude.

There's probably a lot I could say about my trip so I might deliver it to you guys in a few bite-sized chunks. It was definitely a good time, a time which I was very much hoping didn't have to end as soon as it did.  But now it's back to reality, back to work, back to the noise and distraction of everyday. It sure didn't take long to get jolted back to reality as I landed in Calgary on Saturday afternoon and was greeted by sub-zero temperatures (sub 32 for my American friends) and blowing snow. Not a welcome sight, at all. 

So to get a little glimpse into how my week that was was, you need to know one thing: I fell in love while I was in Maui. Don't get too excited, I actually fell in love a few times while I was there. And I'm pretty sure that it was inanimate objects I fell in love with so don't worry, no wedding bells in my near future...or are there? Ok, no really, I'm not getting married, promise. But I did fall in love in Maui. I fell in love with...

...lying in a hammock on the beach. If you have never experienced the relaxation that you get from lying in a hammock in the shade on a beach with a gentle breeze blowing then you are truly missing one of life's better things. In fact, if you ever go to Maui or someplace similar, I strongly recommend you don't go hammock-less.

...having virtually an entire professional-caliber golf course to myself for an afternoon. I broke the bank a bit to get the chance to play a golf course that every January is home to the first PGA Tour event of the year, and quite literally I was all by myself out there. So I relaxed, took my time, and snapped a bunch of pictures.

...going on a 4.5 hour hike through an amazing landscape and once again, having the place to myself. It's going to be super tough to put this experience into words for you but I'll try to in a later post. It was truly unreal.

...macadamia nuts, 'nuff said.

...a local coffee shop called Maui Coffee Roasters that is home to some amazing coffee ($1.50 for an Americano!!!) and free wi-fi. I found my way to this place pretty much everyday, even when it was out of my way.

So there you go, there's a little snapshot into my time away. Some of those things may find their way into other posts later on but for now that gives you a pretty good idea of what my trip entailed.

As always, mahalo for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment