Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Push the button...

Well folks, the time has come.  It's time to exit from the norm, the everyday, the mundane, the constant noise. Sometimes don't you wish you could just get away from it all? Shut off the distraction of life for a while and just stop and think, reflect, re-focus? Sounds kind of impossible, eh? I mean, is it realistic to think that one can get away from it all, even for a short time to just get back to basics and reflect? Well, it might not be totally possible but I'm going to give it a go.


I'm calling it my sabbatical.  According to to dictionary.com a sabbatical is "any extended period of leave from one's customary work, esp. for rest, to acquire new skills or training, etc." Sounds alright, eh? I don't know if you can call what I'm doing an 'extended period' and I'm not sure about acquiring any new skills or training but it will be good anyways.  So, you might ask what am I doing? Well, I might answer. No, I will answer. I'm going to Maui. Since I work for an airline I'm taking advantage of the perks and heading to paradise for a week. When I got this job the first trip I took was to Maui and I've been wanting to go back ever since, that was 2.5 years ago. 


Next question, who am I going with? Absolutely no one. It wouldn't be a real sabbatical if I was doing everything with a bunch of people would it? I want to have some quality solo time, a true break from he everyday. As much as I love people, there is something to be said for not being around them for a while. 


Another big question, where am I staying? On the beach, in a tent. Again, staying in a fancy, touristy resort doesn't seem like a real sabbatical to me. So I'm taking some chances, trying something new, going out on a limb.  I'm headed to Maui with a tent, a hammock, (thanks Jay) some good books and my ipod. Oh, and my golf clubs. You can't go to Maui and not golf right?


I'm gong to try and get it another post before I leave and let you in on some of the books I'm taking and some of my plans for when I'm there but in the meanwhile, here are a few pictures from my last trip to Maui.



No comments:

Post a Comment